This dish is also amazingly low in calories (under 100 per portion), it could make a lovely starter, or a nice light lunch with a nice rocket side salad.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 Can tinned plum tomatoes
- 2 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 50 ml red wine (optional)
- half red onion
- 1/4 red chilli
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 Aubergine
- Fresh basil
- Fry Light Spray
- Finely chop the onion and chilli
- In a saucepan, spray 5-6 squirts of frylight (can use oil if you wish) and place on a low heat.Add the onion and soften
- Add the tomatoes, wine and garlic to the pan and increase heat, stirring.
- Using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes and then put the lid on to reduce
- when reduced (thicker) add the finely chopped garlic, black pepper and salt (to taste) and remove from the heat. Add the chopped basil and stir.
- Slice the aubergine into two thick (2cm) slices and trim so both sides flat (see pic) and coat in fry light spray (or oil)
- In a very hot griddle pan, or frying pan if you don’t have one, griddle each side of the aubergine for 2 mins or until soft.
- Serve (as shown) with the tomato sauce on the plate and sit the aubergine on top, finely grate the parmesan on top and sprinkle the remainder of chopped basil.
It’s a simple recipe to follow and gives you a really yummy and rustic dish. You could add bread to it to dip in, garlic bread even, it’s up to you, I just enjoy this as it is with a nice rocket and tomato salad as it’s healthy and very low in calories.